The Crimean War (1854-56) resulted in the creation of the Army Medical School at Chatham (1860) then at Netley (1863). The Royal Army Medical Corps was then formed on 23 June 1898 by the amalgamation of the Medical Staff Corps and the Army Hospital Corps. The South African War (1899-1902) resulted in a large military medical teaching hospital being built in London on the site of the old Millbank penitentiary (The Queen Alexandra Military Hospital, 1905), and the Army Medical School formally joining this on completion of the Royal Army Medical College at Millbank in 1907. The Royal Army Medical College became the alma mater and academic centre of excellence for military medicine for almost a century, before closing in 1999. Its role is continued by the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine in Birmingham. Its site is now occupied by Chelsea College of Arts who support Friends of Millbank in holding talks in the College’s original lecture theatre.